Re: What are the problems with IDML?

From: Mary Morris <marym@Finesse.COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 12:47:33 -0700
To: marc@ckm.ucsf.edu
Cc: www-html@w3.org, www-style@w3.org
Marc Salomon said"

> The issue of classifying metadata for arbitrary objects is a problem already
> solved by the library community and is orders of magnitude less complex than
> specifying content models for arbitrary document forms.

While I will agree that the library community has done some interesting
things with information classification in general, I have yet to have
seen a good library taxonomy for products and services let alone
a full description of associated metadata. If you know of something
that I have missed, I would love to hear about it.

> But <META> is only going to scale for the most lightweight metadata
> applications, and for more complex collections, first-class metadata objects
> will be the answer.

Can you please explain a little more about "first-class metadata
objects" and how they differ from <META> and who is work on those
strategies right now?

Thanks

Mary