What are the problems with IDML?

From: Mary Morris <marym@Finesse.COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 19:33:51 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org, www-html@w3.org

> >They go into an alternate suggestion at http://www.identify.com/
>
> Yes, I've looked at their system. I've discussed some issues with them. So
> far I am totally unimpressed. The scheme seems to me to be a half-baked,
> proprietary, incompatible lump of extensions.

I've heard one other person say that they aren't SGML enough, now
I hear this. Can someone please be specific about the problems.

Can someone give me an example or suggest better alternatives
that do bypass the biggest reason that they went around META
tags to begin with - namely the cumbersomeness of such long
round about definitions.

I'd really like to understand the details of why they aren't
appropriate.

Mary Morris