Re: fwd:Fonts

From: Benjamin C. W. Sittler <bsittler@prism.nmt.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 16:42:00 -0600
To: Joe English <joe@trystero.art.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
I dislike using FONT because it implies that the only reason for the tag
is to affect rendering of documents. This is not the case! TEXT is much
more suggestive of the true pupose of a generic character-level element:
encoding more application-specific information in a machine-comprehensible
form, with *optional* special rendering. I would suggest PHRASE, but it
seems to me that typing more than nine letters before and after every
affected bit of text would be overly cumbersome.

 Name: Benjamin C. W. Sittler -- Email: bsittler@nmt.edu -- Snail: P.O. Box 153
 Web: http://nmt.edu/~bsittler/         bcws@arc.unm.edu           Socorro, NM