Re: fwd:Fonts

From: Benjamin C. W. Sittler <bsittler@prism.nmt.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 15:13:29 -0600
To: Mike Batchelor <mikebat@clark.net>
Cc: www-style@www10.w3.org
So far we've heard the following suggested names for a generic
character-level element:

TEXT : Not a very good mnemonic

FONT :
       Far too specific, in my opinion. Font selection is only one use for
       a generic element.

C    : Far too cryptic, in my opinion.

ELEMENT : Even worse than TEXT. *Every* container and every
          character-level tag is a "text element."

STRING : I'm biased, aren't I? I like this one, except it's just as bad as
         TEXT.

If it were left up to me, I'd pick TEXT or STRING, although the TEXT
element has (perhaps undesirable) SGML connotations, and STRING takes too
long to type. Perhaps a three letter code, like TXT, STR, ELE, or even EL
would be better?

 Name: Benjamin C. W. Sittler -- Email: bsittler@nmt.edu -- Snail: P.O. Box 153
 Web: http://nmt.edu/~bsittler/         bcws@arc.unm.edu           Socorro, NM