Re: Linking to style sheets

From: Mike Batchelor <mikebat@clark.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 16:38:42 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-style@www10.w3.org
Hakon Lie once wrote...

>  > I'm also having a problem understanding how to link to a style sheet.
>  >
>  > <HEAD><TITLE>Class example</TITLE>
>  > <LINK REL=StyleSheet HREF="style.sheet">
>  > <BODY>
>  > <H1>This is a blue header</H1>
>  > <H1 CLASS=RED>This is a red header</H1>
>  > </BODY>
>  >
>  > In Arena 0.97g, the status message indicates it is applying the style
>  > sheet, but no styles take effect.  Arena 0.96s says nothing about applying
>  > styles, and no styles take effect.  Where am I confused?
>
> Arena will apply a hardcoded style sheet whenever a document is
> displayed. I will take out the status line message as this can be
> confusing. Otherwise, your example looks fine (remember the </HEAD>),

It seems to only need the <style></style> tags in the included style
sheet.

> I would need to see the content of "style.sheet" to say what's wrong.

Well, it was using the old style attribute names.  I changed it to the new
ones (font.color, back.color) and it works fine now.

But I am having to rsh arena from our SunOS4 machine.  The older 0.96s for
Solaris x86 and Linux, the systems I am using for the authoring, don't
understand the new style attributes, they understand the old names
color.text and color.background.  I wonder if I might be allowed to do the
ports of the new Arena version to Solaris x86 and Linux.

I'm also getting a handle on how the classes are done in the style sheet.
This is really useful, not only to hint at the presentation, but also for
showing more precisely what a tag means.

address.street: font.color = #FFF;
address.street: back.color = #000;
address.email: font.color = #00C;

<address class=street>7125 Riverwood Dr, Columbia, MD</address>
<address class=email>Mike Batchelor <a href="mailto:mikebat@clark.net"
&lt;mikebat@clark.net&gt;</a></address>

This very nicely highlights the difference between the two kinds of
addresses, in the tags, and in the browser.

Thanks everyone for your tips and your patience.

--
 %%%%%% mikebat@clark.net %%%%%% http://www.clark.net/pub/mikebat/www/ %%%%%%
            The more I use HTML v3, the less I like Netscape....