tags without sematics

From: Hakon Lie <Hakon.Lie@sophia.inria.fr>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 18:23:36 +0200
To: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Cc: www-style@www10.w3.org
Paul Prescod writes:

 > If the Economist needs those first three words bolded so desperately it should
 > encourage browser writers to support DSSSL.  DSSSL has a full programming
 > language built in.  It can easily find the first three words of a
 > paragraph and bold them.

The Economist was used as an example beacuse it employs some common
typographic tricks (e.g. dropdown initials and small-caps) and is
widely available. If you pick up a copy, you will see that the number
of cap'ed (not bold) words vary from article to article. Perhaps you
can find some heuristic DSSSL-codable algorithm for this, but I think
a <C> tag is a more elegant solution.

Regards,

-h&kon

http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/People/howcome/