Re: Re: draft-ietf-html-style-00.txt & class as a general selector

From: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 18:31:40 +0000 (GMT)
To: cwilso@microsoft.com (Chris Wilson)
Cc: www-style@w3.org

> >Tell me, if I have foo.bar, should that be followed by a trailing ] or not.
> Why?
>
> Certainly not - it is not encapsulated.  There was no [ beginning the item,
> why should there be a ] to end it?  I don't want a syntax that has a single
> required token-delimiter, I just want some logical encapsulation.

This appears to contradict your next point:

> My point was that if you throw out the closing ], any of the characters
> "),{" might end the selector, instead of only "]".

So you do want a single required delimiter...

Yes, they might - but unambiguously. However, if you want spurious extra
tokens to improve the visual appearance, that is your decision.

In a somewhat tangential point, se seemed to get onto:
> >LI *is a container. What is your point here?
>
> *Forced* is the key word here.  Forced as in people actually use it as
> such,  instead of doing
>
> <UL>
> <LI>foo
> <LI>bar
> </UL>

It is a container regardless of whether you miss off the trailing </li>. You
say you read specs so I will assume you know the difference between the tags
in a document and the logical representation in the parse tree. </li> is
still present in the parse tree; it is inferred by the following <li>.
But perhaps this point could be taken to private email igf you want to
pursue it.

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author and JISC representative to W3C
|  Manchester and North Training & Education Centre   ( MAN T&EC )  |