Re: Proposal: Fix discrete to animation in SVG 1.1 Second Edition

From: Brian Birtles <birtles@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 10:19:09 +0900
To: Alex Danilo <alex@abbra.com>
Cc: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>, www-smil@w3.org, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Hi Alex,

On 7 April 2011 10:37, Alex Danilo <alex@abbra.com> wrote:
> I just checked this out.
>
> We do what Opera and WebKit do, namely switch at the 2 second
> point (mid-point) of the discrete to animation. Also, we ignore
> the keyTimes so the change happens at 4s instead of 2s for Cameron's
> last test case in 92-t.
>
> This is just another data point for you, I don't claim it's
> what SMIL expects...

That's good to know. It gives us confidence that the proposed change
will bring the specification into line with implementations (and
common sense, since I believe the implementations are doing what is
most intuitive in this case).

I think the keyTimes issue is a bug (and that Cameron's test is
correct) since I believe SMIL does say that keyTimes apply to
to-animation as well[1] but I'm not fussed whether the proposed
keyTimes wording ends up in the spec or not.

Thanks again Alex,

Brian

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SMIL/smil-animation.html#animationNS-InterpolationKeysplines