Re: draft-hoschka-smil-media-type vs +xml

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:19:29 +0100
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: ietf-types@alvestrand.no, www-smil@w3.org, ietf-xml-mime@imc.org, ph@w3.org

On Monday, December 12, 2005, 10:27:14 AM, Bjoern wrote:

BH> Hi,

BH> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoschka-smil-media-type-12.txt
BH> is a bit old by now, but I don't think application/smil should be COMMON
BH> as it does not use the +xml convention for XML media types. Instead, it
BH> should be OBSOLETE and application/smil+xml, defined in the same draft,
BH> should be used instead.

BH> http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/PR-SMIL2-20050927/ only has application/smil
BH> (which is not currently registered), it should use application/smil+xml
BH> and point out that application/smil is obsolete, assuming that the +xml
BH> version will be registered in the not too distant future.

Thanks for spotting this, Björn. I suspect it was copied over from SMIL
2.0 which predates the +xml convention. I agree that
application/smil+xml should be the preferred type and should be

SMIL editors, the procedure to follow is given at

(and is supposed to start at last call, by the way)

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG