Re: SMIL question http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-SMIL2-20050107/

From: Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:11:57 +0100
Cc: eslcafe@USherbrooke.ca, www smil <www-smil@w3.org>
To: jt.johnston@USherbrooke.ca

On 8-mrt-05, at 21:32, John Taylor-Johnston wrote:

>  Re: http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-SMIL2-20050107/
>
> Hi,
>
>  Concerning SMIL 2.0, I am totally newbie at this.
>
>  First: I see nothing on  data:text/plain  anywhere in the doc. I
> searched. Do I still use escaped spaces?

The "data:text/plain" construct is not SMIL-specific, it is a URL
scheme, just like http: or ftp:. It is described in RFC2397,
<http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2397.html>. Officially you need to escape
almost anything but alphanumeric characters, but lots of players are
forgiving and will allow unescaped spaces and other characters.

>  Next: To start using 2.0, I must start by using this:
>
>  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SMIL 1.0//EN"
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-smil/SMIL10.dtd">
> <smil
> xmlns:qt="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resources/smilextensions"
> qt:time-slider="true" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/SMIL20/">
> <?quicktime type="application/x-quicktime-media-link"?>

Please note that QuickTime only supports SMIL 1.0, not 2.0. What you're
doing in these lines of the document is you're stating in the DOCTYPE
that it is a SMIL 1.0 document, but in the <smil> tag that the default
namespace is the SMIL 2.0 namespace. Doctypes and namespaces always
confuse me, so I'm hardly an expert on the matter, but I'm pretty sure
this is not legal.

> Ok. But in case the authors of the document are reading, there is an
> inconsistency. It is not clear which xmlns I should use in my <smil
> ...> tag:
> <smil xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/SMIL20/">
> <smil xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/SMIL20/Language">

Uhm... I'm not sure...
There must be other SYMM WG members on this list who can answer this
question, I hope?
Goldman