Re: please review: application/smil MIME type registration

see inline

Martin Duerst a écrit :

> At 18:02 01/06/21 +0200, Philipp Hoschka wrote:
> >We'd like to start the two-week review of
> >
> >http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoschka-smil-media-type-08.txt
> >
> >describing the registration of the application/smil MIME type for
> >SMIL 1.0 and SMIL 2.0.
>
> Hello Philipp,
>
> It's
> http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoschka-smil-media-type-09.txt,
> (08->09) or even better (but doesn't make a difference)
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoschka-smil-media-type-09.txt.
>
> And it's registering both application/smil and application/xml+smil.

Right - the message you are responding to dates from June 21, and
announced
a two-week review starting at that date. This review resulted in a
couple of
comments, which lead to changes in the draft, and a new version.

I am planning to start another 2-week review soon, together with a
request
for an IESG-authorized IETF-wide last call.

> Some simple comments:
>
> - Was there an earlier registration for application/smil? I haven't
>    found anything about that in the draft.

There was no earlier registration.

> - There are two types registered, but there is no explanation about
>    why there are two, or which should be used in what case
>    (or I have missed that).

The reason that there are two types is that application/smil is widely
used, but application/xml+smil is in line with an existing RFC. I'm not
sure we need to set up rules on when to use which, and I'm not sure what
the rules would be.

> - I think IANA doesn't like pointers in registration templates.
>    I would advise you to fill in everything, even if this duplicates data.

If requested by IANA, we will certainly do this.

Thanks for your review

-Philipp