RE: [Fwd: SMIL 2.0 comment: 14.3.2 Conformance of SMIL 2.0 Basic Documents]

Peter:
Some replies in-line.
-Aaron

You only have to write one smil file. You can use the test attribute
'systemRequired' to ensure that the SMIL Basic player doesn't have to look
at anything that it doesn't know about. You just wrap non SMIL Basic block
with systemRequired=<non-smil-basic-module-ns-prefix> and you're set.

> * As a language designer I would like to integrate SMIL 2.0
> modules with my own language (Another common use case, I
> think). How do I declare, using namespaces and
> 'systemRequired' attribute, that the document consists of
> both SMIL modules and my own modules? Where do I specify
> _how_ the modules are integrated?
You do that in the profile document for the language you design, as well as
the DTD and/or XML Schema for that language. Using these means, you can
specify exactly what modules are legal syntax in your profile. You still
need to use the profile document to specify semantics that differ from or
are not defined in the smil 20 modules.

> * How can, for example, a mobile phone indicate to the server
> that it supports only SMIL Basic modules,
This is a CC/PP thing, and orthogonal to SMIL

>> and sending down a
> SMIL document with other modules is a waste of bandwidth and
> will not be played as expected by the author; everything but
> the basic modules will be ignored. I consider it an Error if
> a mobile phone receives an advanced SMIL document and can
> play only a fraction of the content - it cannot be what the
> author expected.
Like we said above, you can always create your own profile based on smil
basic, and only allow your player to play those. One can either use the smil
doctype and our scalability mechanism, or create a distinct doctype based on
smil basic and the smil modules. It is not legal to usurp the smil doctype
and place additional non-smil 2.0 restrictions on the document (as opposed
to the player). One can't have it both ways.

> * If an external organisation, for example WAP Forum, use
> SMIL 2.0 and use their own namespace, as you suggest below
> that they can, then what happens when the document is sent to
> a SMIL player that does not recognize the
> organisation-specific namespace?
It would not play the document, since elements in distinct namespaces are by
default distinct. However, it would not be very much coding work for such a
player to recognize such document types, since it would be just accepting
essentially the same elements from an alternative namespace. Once again, you
can't have it both ways.