Re: on text decoration

Howdy.

For the best examples of what you can do with SMIL, I will have to
unfortunately direct you to Realnetworks site (which although they are
desperately attempting to proprietize much of the language with their own
extensions, their player is likely the only support you will have on the
majority of machines)...

http://www.realnetworks.com/devzone/howto/contentcreation/smiltips/sample
s/index.html?src=authkit_011600,rlvid8_082300

They have dozens of easy, medium and advanced tutorials for creating SMIL
presentations.

-------

To attempt to answer your questions though, I think you are confusing
several things that people have mentioned.

First:  think of your top-level SMIL file as the equivalent of your html file in
standard web-development. (or more appropriately, how a dhtml-layers based
html file is designed).  However, your SMIL file doesn't actually contain any
of the content itself (where HTML obviously does).

What the SMIL file provides, is the definition of what your playlists, and also
provides the layout of where each section of your playlist are on screen (or
within the realplayer-window, as it were in most cases).

For example, you want an interface for your presentation that consists of a
header, a main content region and a footer.

Each is defined within your SMIL header with the appropriate top/left, and
height/width attributes.  This gives us three Named regions that we can then
direct our content into. I find that using background colors for each region
helps me actually layout the regions before actually adding the 'content' to
them.

Note, the layout of these regions doesn't have anything to do (technically)
with what actual content you throw into them.  You could play video in the
header region, or whatever...

Now that we have three regions defined (we'll assume that we named them
'header, main, footer' for simplicity), we can then create playlists for each of
these regions.

NOTE::If you are creating a multi-item playlist that is targetted to the same Named Region (our 'main' region, for example), you need to use a
<seq> sequence within your main tags.  For example:

  <seq>
    <textstream src="http://www.mysite.com/smil/text/intro.rt" region="main" />
    <video src="rtsp://myrealserver.com:554/thevideo_01.rm" region="main" title="video part one"/>
    <video src="rtsp://myrealserver.com:554/thevideo_02.rm" region="main" title="video part two"/>
    <textstream src="http://www.mysite.com/smil/text/outro.rt" region="main" fill="freeze"/>
  </seq>

This will play through the list of items in the order that they are listed, that is, the intro.rt (which is a mini-playlist, essentially too), then the two
videos back-to-back and then finally an outro realtext clip (which can be a whole playlist of credits or whatever you want).  The final clip freezes
when it's finished, so you don't get a blank screen, or worse the real logo.  ;]

As far as formatting a chunk of realtext, you use normal font tags like old-school html (pre-css) like this.

This is the entire contents of the 'intro.rt' file linked above.  Note that this real text file lasts 60 seconds and will change the contents every 15
seconds.  You can use the same format for rotating banners regularly, changing the text alongside a video and so on.

<window
	type="generic"
	duration="0:60"
	bgcolor="#444444"
	underline_hyperlinks="true"
	link="white"
	width="244"
	height="60">

<time begin="0:00" />
realtext section of this presentation...this plays at the beginning of the presentation</font><br/>

<time begin="0:15" />
second marker of the presentation.</font> <br/>

<time begin="0:30" />
realtext timer-based clips to provide additional info for the presentations while they play or to create a credits-for videos or whatever you can think
of.</font><br/>

<time begin="0:45" />

</window>

Please NOTE: One thing that screws people up (at least the production team I'm teaching SMIL to) is the width and height attributes within both
the smil file and the realtext/pix files themselves.

You should set them both to the same size, especially if you are using the fit="fill" tag within the regions, like this:

		<layout>
			<region id="main" left="2" top="2" height="240" width="320" fit="fill" background-color="black" z-index="2"  />
		</layout>

If you have different sizes in your realtext file as your main SMIL file, the text will be stretched all strange.  This can also be used to your
advantage to 'squash or stretch' text in strange ways.

-----

I've written enough that I might have to keep this as a tutorial of my own, but that's a run down of what is required.

Real Networks has a realproduction guide as well that you might want to download and they even have a realtext creator program for buliding
yoru own text presentations.

HotDog has a SMIL composer program that they offer for free, but I found that it wouldn't load any of my previous smil files and crashed alot.  I
can dig up a URL if you want.

Later

Mike Wuetherick
Technical Director