Re: on text decoration

Philipp and Andrew,

Thank you very much for answering to my question.

Philipp Hoschka wrote:
> Unfortunately, that isn't possible. Text formatting is part of
> each individual text media object, and needs to be specified
> there. With a HTML text object, you could share a single stylesheet
> between the different text objects (inlcude by reference), which
> would diminish the workload here. That won't work with Real-text,
> though.

My question in that case is that how do you handle it if
an html text contains more than the characters, such as images,
form buttons, wave data, etc ?   Is it allowed to skip them ?
Or should I display a whole html page in a specified region ?
Please forgive my ignorance.

AndrewWatt2001@aol.com wrote:
> I certainly don't qualify as a SMIL expert. However, I suggest you take a
> look at the text capabilities of Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG). You could
> certainly do in SVG the kind of things you mention. SVG has many links with
> SMIL Animation.
>
> Despite its name, SVG has significant text capabilities which build in the
> kind of CSS properties which you mention.
>
> Take a look at
>
> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Overview.htm8
>
> Some useful SVG links are to be found on
>
> http://homepages.strath.ac.uk/~bdu99198/xml/svg/links.html
>
> There is an active SVG developers discussion mailing list at
>
> http://www.egroups.com/group/svg-developers
>
> There are many more online resources but those should help you get started.
>
> You could do something like what you mention with the following SVG code:
>
> <?xml version='1.0'?>
>
> <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 20000303 Stylable//EN"
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/03/WD-SVG-20000303/DTD/svg-20000303-stylable.dtd">
>
> <svg width="500" height="500">
>
> <rect x="100" y="100" width="300" height="100" style="stroke-width:3;
> stroke:red; fill:none;"/>
>
> <text style="font-family:courier, serif; color:black;font-size:36;" x="105"
> y="130">
> Your text goes here.
> </text>
>
> </svg>
>
> Take a look at Section 10 of the SVG Candidate Recommendation for information
> on text handling.
>
> To view the simple code above you would need the Adobe SVG Viewer (version
> 1.0 which is compatible with the March 2000 draft) available at
> http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/main.html
>
> I hope that helps.

Yes, thank you very much for providing me many links.
It helps me to understand how to use svg.  I didn't know it
is possible to do it by svg.  I think this is a straightforward way.

Best regards,
Yoshinori Matsui
Panasonic/Matsushita