Re: Same SMIL source on different Players G2 and Soja

From: Jose Ramirez <joseram@empirenet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:50:43 -0800
To: Lloyd Rutledge <Lloyd.Rutledge@cwi.nl>, "www-smil@w3.org" <www-smil@w3.org>

>Lloyd Rutledge wrote:

> The main potential for incompatabilities lies not in the processing of
> SMIL but in the media types.  GRiNS does not process RealText, so I
> switched the text file names to the ASCII text files you provided.
> The text that GRiNS displays is larger in size than SOJA, so wider
> regions had to be used to make the text not wrap around.  The assumed
> size of text in SMIL presenations is not standardized, so it is up to
> each player to determine text size.  Once these adjustments were made,
> GRiNS played the presentation correctly.
> So while all players handle what SMIL does specify (synchronization,
> screen placement, etc.) the same, they don't accept the same media
> types.

There's a couple of difference between Helio's Soja and RealNetworks.
1. The "dur attribute appears to behave as the "end" attribute.

G2 example:

Soja example:

2. The region background-color attribute displays as soon as the
presentation begins in G2. In the Soja player the background-color
appears when the element is played.

G2 example:

Soja example:

>  Furthermore, while they all accept plain text as a media type,
> they handle its display differently.  In order to ensure the same
> behavior of a SMIL presentation across different systems, media
> formats must be used that all systems recognize and that all play in
> the same manner.  These would be public formats whose playback has no
> ambiguities.  Visual public formats such as JPEG and MPEG have no
> display ambiguities.  Plain text, however, does.  Perhaps HTML with
> detail font specificiation, or HTML with CSS with detail font
> specificiation would display non-ambiguously across platforms.

Your right Lloyd, this is a presentation that shows the difference in
text size.

Soja example:

G2 example is in this pinpoint.zip file, It worked locally but not off
the web server, well at least not yet. I'll keep trying.

G2 example

Jose Ramirez