Re: Same SMIL source on different Players G2 and Soja

From: Philipp Hoschka <ph@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 22:55:27 +0100
To: Lloyd Rutledge <Lloyd.Rutledge@cwi.nl>
cc: www-smil@w3.org

On 16/03/1999, Lloyd Rutledge <Lloyd.Rutledge@cwi.nl>  wrote:
>The main potential for incompatabilities lies not in the processing of
>SMIL but in the media types.

True - unfortunately, the main construct to get around this (a switch
statement between differently encoded content) doesn't seem to work
reliably - see Jose's page (difficulties with .auz)
http://www.empirenet.com/~joseram/universal/universal.html

>GRiNS does not process RealText, so I
>switched the text file names to the ASCII text files you provided.
>The text that GRiNS displays is larger in size than SOJA, so wider
>regions had to be used to make the text not wrap around.

Sounds like things not interoperable to me - but i guess there's
no way around this particular problem, as you explain below

>The assumed
>size of text in SMIL presenations is not standardized,

And it shouldn't be

>Perhaps HTML with
>detail font specificiation, or HTML with CSS with detail font
>specificiation would display non-ambiguously across platforms.

I would hope that this works.