RE: About RealPix in SMIL

From: Shelton, David C <David.Shelton2@unisys.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:35:43 -0500
To: "'TAKESATO HAYASHI'" <take@takesato.com>, www-smil@w3.org
From everything I've read, it is best to use the media type tag names. So,
if you have an audio file you are to play, use the <audio> tag. (This is
what I remember reading off of both RealMedia and W3C's web sites). The only
reason you'd use <ref> is because you are not sure what media type will be
used, or for generic reasons.

Since "RealPix" is a RealMedia format, I would go with what they are saying
to use. There is no defined use by the W3C, to my knowledge, about RealPix.
But if you use the <ref> tag, there should be no problem either, since the
rules of SMIL say that <ref> can be used by any of the media formats. If a
SMIL viewer can not read the RealPix format, then they will not display it
(possibly giving an error message).

Another time you may want to use the <ref> tag is for audio that is in video
format (eg. QuickTime *.mov audio files).

Hope this helps