Re: AICI: Focus

From: Aaron E. Walsh <aaron@mantiscorp.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 19:13:51 -0500
To: Henning Timcke <henning.timcke@werft22.com>
Cc: "AICI (E-Mail)" <aici@toocan.philabs.research.philips.com>, "SMIL@w3c (E-Mail)" <www-smil@w3.org>, "WWW-TV (E-Mail)" <www-tv@w3.org>, "'secretariat@davic.org'" <secretariat@davic.org>, "Larry Masinter (E-Mail)" <masinter@parc.xerox.com>, "Philipp Hoschka (E-Mail)" <ph@w3.org>, "'risk@cybermedic.org'" <risk@cybermedic.org>
Henning Timcke wrote:

> Did anybody knew about http://www.davic.org/ ?

Hello Henning and all,

I believe the idea for DAVIC (Digital Audio-Visual Council) came from
Leonardo Chiariglione, the current "Contact Point" of the MPEG home page
at http://drogo.cselt.it/mpeg/

I'm not a member of DAVIC, so can't speak to the group's work, but find
their charter worth passing along to the AIC-I since there seems to be
some common interests:

"The purpose of DAVIC is to favour the success of emerging digital
audio-visual applications and services, by the timely availability of
internationally agreed specifications of open interfaces and protocols
that maximise interoperability across countries and
applications/services. The primary instrument is production of technical
specifications that maximise interoperability across countries and
applications/services..."
 http://www.davic.org/

Cheers,

Aaron Walsh
  http://www.mantiscorp.com/people/aew/

Chair, VRML Universal Media Element Library (VRML-UMEL) Working Group
  http://www.vrml.org/WorkingGroups/vrml-umel/

Co-chair, VRML Intellectual Property Rights (VRML-IPR) Task Group
  http://www.vrml.org/TaskGroups/vrml-ipr/