Re: Web Rule Language - WRL vs SWRL

From: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 01:13:56 -0400
To: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>
Cc: www-rdf-rules@w3.org

> But you can't have it both ways. You often argue that the stuff in
> SWSL-Rules (e.g., the hilog/f-logic stuff) is well understood, "widely"
> used,

Well, it is widely used as far as research goes (incl research labs) and
some in the industry. (For instance, HiLog is now part of Common Logic.)
Nobody claimed anything more than that.

> and heavily accepted...er...but the key vendors who are a major
> focus of a standards effort haven't heard of it.

How many vendors have heard of Description Logic in y2000? y2001?

> Also, it's not like the key differentiating features show up in some
> form in the business rules community (in all it's OPS5 derived glory),
> afaict.
>
> > How many business people understood and were interested in OWL and its
> > predecessors in, say, year 2000?
>
> This is a point against your position :)

To the contrary. (I think we are building our arguments on incompatible
proof systems. :)

	--michael