Re: The author of a query is (not) most likely the user

Hi Bijan --

Some more good points from you (below).  I'll try to answer them....

[Adrian] The problem [i.e. the costs stemming from the gap between business
requirements and programming] can get worse with rule systems,

[Bijan] Why? What makes the difference? Maybe there's something wrong with
rule systems (e.g., lack of modularity.)

[Adrian reply]  IMHO, nothing wrong with rule systems, particularly if they
are highly declarative (e.g. the order of the rules does not matter.)  It's
just that a minor change in any logic based system tends to have far
reaching consequences compared to a minor change in say, a Java
program.  Consider for example some interoperating rules reasoning over a
future semantic web.  Someone somewhere adds a transitive closure
rule.  Whole new set of answers, many of them probably wrong.

[Adrian]  the problem can get worse if we stick to the techie notations
that us techies know and love.  Or it can be mitigated, if we make sure
that the person writing the rules has to document what they mean at the
real world business level.  If this is done by including lightweight
English in the rules themselves...

[Bijan]  "Lightweight English" has no positive, or, indeed, contentful
association for me. Either the language is regimented, or it isn't (or
somewhat regimented). If it is executable, it will depart from English
enough to belie (to my mind) any claim of lightweightedness. As the system
gets large, the need for structure and (formalisitc) clarity seems to go
up, not down.

[Adrian reply]  OK, "lightweight English" is shorthand for what is done in
our online system.  The idea is to supply just enough support for
self-documenting rules, without getting into the fascinating but deep field
of natural language research.  If you have time to run some of the examples
in our system (by pointing a browser to www.reengineeringllc.com), you'll
see what this is.  You could even try using a browser to write and run your
own rules.

Formalistic clarity is great for us techies, but if there is no way of
linking it to real world business or scientific concepts, then we are back
to square one.  (Of course formal clarity about what goes on _inside_ the
black box is great.)

[Bijan] ..consider today's websites. More specifically, ecommerce sites.
Though data and query [are] heavy, I'd be very surprised if any significant
fraction of them provided anything more than stack traces on crash by way
of explanation. (Or similarly techie oriented explanation.) Why not?

[Adrian]  Agreed, I don't know of any sites that provide more than
techie-oriented traces when something goes wrong.  Why not? -- because
organizations currently have large expensive staffs of people to read the
techie-traces and meet with business people to try to figure out what
happened.  (Is it a bug?  Is it bad data?  Was the answer correct, but hard
for the business folks to accept?) At the least, English explanations
should make the process more economical.  At best, business folks will read
and understand the explanations directly themselves.

Now take this to the level of future interoperating rules systems, or web
services over the semantic web, and one can foresee the support and call
center costs becoming significant enough to limit the whole endeavor.

Hope this makes sense.  I look forward to your further testing questions.

                                 Cheers,  -- Adrian

INTERNET BUSINESS LOGIC (R)
www.reengineeringllc.com

Adrian Walker