Re: Web Rule Language - WRL vs SWRL

On 1 Jul 2005, at 23:31, Michael Kifer wrote:

[snip]

I guess everyone is pretty bored with this by now (I know I am), and I
think we both made our positions clear.

One remaining point that may be worth clarifying, however...

>> Regarding "the truly complex parts of SWRL, such as descriptions in
>> the
>> head", I'm not sure what you mean by this. The SWRL rules given in the
>> paper are used *in addition* to axioms such as the one above, and
>> capture additional property relationships that cannot be expressed in
>> OWL. In the general case, such rules lead to undecidability when
>> combined even with OWL-Lite. Is that complex enough?
>
> Ian, you are not following. The discussion was about SWRL, not OWL.

Now I understand your confusion. The important point you have missed is
that SWRL is an extension of OWL-DL: if you look at the specification,
you will see that SWRL is OWL-DL with the *addition* of a new kind of
axiom expressing Horn clause rules.

> I was asking if you have examples of interesting uses of the more
> features of SWRL (not OWL) where complex rules are used. You pointed
> me to
> this paper, but the rules there are very simple. So, this didn't
> satisfy my
> curiosity. (Again, nothing against Christine's great project.)

The interesting/advanced features involve the use of several kinds of
SWRL axiom, not just Horn clause axioms. That is what is going on here.

I hope everything is now clear.

Ian