Re: plain rules, please [was: Semantic Web Rule Language (SWRL) 0.5 released]

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:53:29 -0800
Cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Mike Dean <mdean@bbn.com>, <www-rdf-rules@w3.org>
To: Stephen Reed <reed@cyc.com>

On Tuesday, November 25, 2003, at 10:32  AM, Stephen Reed wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Bijan Parsia wrote:
>
>> OWL Rules has some nice logical (it's just a larger subset of FOL) and
>> pragmatic (it lets you reuse your hard won OWL expertise) features.
>>
>> Of course, given the increasing recognition that Deduction is Evil(tm)
>> or, at least, that Deduction is Silly and Pointless(r), the former
>> properties might not be so nice.
>
> Please elaborate your last point.

It was sarcasm feeding off of Drew's elaboration of Clay Shirky's
Anti-Semantic-Web-Syllogism article. As a founding member of the
Syllogistically Linking, AI-hyping Gnomes (S.L.A.G.)*, I feel it's my
moral duty to keep up the other side :)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.

*(I'm also committee chair of the Semantic Web Alliance of Gnostic (or
Gnarly) Gnomes Evangelizing Reasoning)