Re: Rules WG -- draft charter -- NAF

Ben - I think you miss my point - I didn't say figuring out a way to
do NAF would be a bad thing, I said it would be a very HARD thing,
and one for which there is no current de facto solution -- WOWG
looked for a way to do this, and realized we would not be able to do
it -- I don't see why the rules group would expect success unless
they could start from an existing solution -- and I've seen no
proposal with a solution that seems workable.  If it's going to be
part of the charter, then I would want to see at least 1 workable
solution before the WG starts...
  -JH
p.s. WOWG's objective, which we didn't achieve, is mentioned in our
requirements [1]

O3. Ability to state closed worlds     Due to the size and rate of
change on the Web, the closed-world assumption (which states that
anything that cannot be inferred is assumed to be false) is
inappropriate. However, there are many situations where closed-world
information would be useful. Therefore, the language must be able to
state that a given ontology can be regarded as complete. This would
then sanction additional inferences to be drawn from that ontology.
The precise semantics of such a statement (and the corresponding set
of inferences) remains to be defined, but examples might include
assuming complete property information about individuals, assuming
completeness of class-membership, and assuming exhaustiveness of
subclasses.     Motivation: Shared ontologies, Inconsistency detection

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/webont-req/#section-objectives