Re: SeRQL an RDF rule language: scoping Rules vs Query in W3C wor k

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 01:09:02 -0000, Seaborne, Andy wrote:
> This seems to me to be the important point in structuring any query/rules
> work.  If there is a a common way of describing the the matching part of the
> query/rule then have different handling of the results (results sets, RDF
> templates, RDF subgraph, rule consequences and probably more).

Agreed.

> Ordering and group seem to be part of the handling the results.  A sensible
> implementation would use the result requirements to optimize the matching
> part but conceptually they are different stages.

That may make more or less sense depending on how you've implemented
quering. Some implemenatations optimise on ordering or grouping
information, which would mean that you shouldn't evaluate the query until
you know the result format - might not always be what you want.

- Steve