Re: SeRQL an RDF rule language: scoping Rules vs Query in W3C wor k

Seaborne, Andy wrote:
> I'm not quite clear on the query:
>
> Does this query give a sequence of "graphlets", one per soltuion
> to the FROM clause, or a single graph of all the triples from all
>  the solutions?

It returns a single result set, consisting of statements that match
the from clause. It's not necessarily a single graph because the
results from different matches may well be disconnected, but there
is no explicit support for identifying these individual matches, if
that's what you mean: you get one set of statements that contains
all answers.

> Another sort fo related question: in the case where the result of
>  a query is a subgrapgh of the original, does anyone know of any
> literature describing algorithms for this subgraph calculation
> that is faster than simply taking each solution and merging (that
>  can lead to a lot of unnecessary work)?

Now I'm confused :) What do you mean with merging in this context?
Filtering duplicate statements? If so, then I can't help you with
literature refs from the top of my head, but we have implemented
this by pushing a DISTINCT modifier down to the SQL engine to filter
out duplicate variable-binding combinations, and an additional
triple filter on top of that. We haven't spent too much time on
optimizing this, but sofar it has not given us any serious
performance problems. Of course this approach is only used when the
user specifies a DISTINCT modifier in the SeRQL query, so it might
just not have come up yet :)

Cheers,

Jeen
--