Re: RDF and OWL rules

From: Harold Boley <boley@informatik.uni-kl.de>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:01:32 +0200
To: Geoff Chappell <geoff@sover.net>
Cc: RDF Rules <www-rdf-rules@w3.org>

Hi Geoff and All,

> I've been putting together rdfql rules for rdf and owl. Anyone else working on similar efforts? - i.e. datalog/prolog-ish rules for owl and rdf/rdfs?
> Anyone interested in trying to create a standard set of these - encoded in ruleml or something similar that we could all translate into our languages
> of choice?

Are your referring to your June '02 contributions to Alberto and Andy's
Query and Rule languages Use Cases and Examples
(http://rdfstore.sourceforge.net/2002/06/24/rdf-query/)?

Are your aware of Stefan, Mike, and Deborah's
Requirements and Use Cases for a Semantic Web Rule Language
(http://www.isi.edu/~stefan/rules/20030325/)?

Also, the RuleML Initiative already started a library of RuleML rulebases:
http://www.ruleml.org/#Library

In RuleML we've been recently working on Object-Oriented RuleML and
its preliminary page, linking to talks, the RALOCA e-learning application,
and an early XSLT implementation:

http://www.ruleml.org/indoo

In particular, here are possible relationships between OO RuleML and RDF:

http://www.ruleml.org/indoo/ruleml-swarch.pdf
(http://www.ruleml.org/indoo/ruleml-swarch.ppt)

Perhaps the query examples there can help you with an RDFQL-in-RuleML encoding.

On Wednesday, the RuleML Steering Committee will discuss about how the RuleML
Initiative might best contribute to RDF, RDF Query, and RDF Rules.
Input is most welcome!

Best,
Harold