Re: Expressiveness of RDF as Rule Conclusion Language (was Re: W hat is an RDF Query? )

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 23:44:49 -0500
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Cc: www-rdf-rules@w3.org
>yOn Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>  The graph-merging rules described in section 3 of the RDF MT document
>>  should make this clear: if you merge two RDF graphs then you *must*
>>  merge nodes with the same URI, but you *must not* merge blank nodes.
>...though in practice RDF applications are free to additionally
>do some extra merging, if they have for some other reason to infer that
>the nodes refer to some common entity. Right? (ie. the
>graph-merging rule is just one thing that realworld RDF apps will do when
>they're merging data from multiple sources)

Oh yes, sure. Sorry. I should have said:  in order to be logically
valid according to the model theory, you *must*, etc... If a
processor has some external reason to merge nodes then it can do what
it wants and the result is still meaningful, just not entailed by
what it started with.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax