Re: Question on SWRL

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:50:01 -0500 (EST)
To: axel.polleres@deri.org, axel.polleres@uibk.ac.at
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org

From: Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@uibk.ac.at>
Subject: Question on SWRL
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:55:31 +0100

> Dear all,
>
> I have a question on the SWRL submission at
> http://www.w3.org/Submission/SWRL/
> (also in the revised version at http://www.daml.org/2004/11/fol/rules-all)
> on the Tables the table in Section 3.1:
>
> What is the last line supposed to mean?!?
>
>   builtIn(r,z1,...,zn)         <S(z1),...,S(zn)> \in  D(f)
>
> i.e., what is D(f) here? D is nowehere mentioned as part of the
> interpretation, rather it is written:
> "D is an OWL DL data range" which does not make sense here, or no?
>
> Thanks for clarification,
>
> axel

Hmm.  I agree that the wording could be much clearer, but D is defined just
above, as an extension of the datatype map, in the last two sentences in
the quote below, taken from the beginning of Section 3.1:

	From the OWL Semantics and Abstract Syntax document we recall that,
	given a datatype map D, an abstract OWL interpretation is a tuple
	of the form
		I = <R, EC, ER, L, S, LV>
	where R is a set of resources, LV<=R is a set of literal values,
	EC is a mapping from classes and datatypes to subsets of R and LV
	respectively, ER is a mapping from properties to binary relations
	on R, L is a mapping from typed literals to elements of LV, and S
	is a mapping from individual names to elements of EC(owl:Thing). To
	handle the built-in relations, we augment the datatype map to map
	the built-in relations to tuples over the appropriate sets. That
	is, op:numeric-add is mapped into the triples of numeric values
	that correctly interpret numeric addition.

The mapping of built-in relations is indeed not part of an interpretation,
as it does not vary between interpretations.

peter

PS:  Note that there is a typo in condition you quote.  It should read

	builtIn(r,z1,...,zn)         <S(z1),...,S(zn)> \in  D(r)