Re: Benefits of using DL or Lite over using Full?

From: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>
Subject: Re: Benefits of using DL or Lite over using Full?
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:14:52 -0500

> "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" wrote:
> >
> > From: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>
> > Subject: Benefits of using DL or Lite over using Full?
> > Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:06:31 -0500
> >

> > > Hi Folks,
> > >
> > > What are the benefits are of restricting myself to DL or Lite?  For
> > > example, what kind of inferencing can I do with DL that I can't do with
> > > Full?  /Roger
> > >

> > The benefits are computational.
> >
> > OWL DL inferencing is decidable. OWL Lite inferencing is in EXPTIME.
>
> Peter, can you put that in terms that a poor country-boy like me can
> understand?  /Roger

Hmm.  There isn't too much that I can do for you if you don't understand
computability or complexity theory.

There is, however, a sort of general quip that one can make:

A complete inferencer for OWL Full is in extreme peril of going away
forever.  A complete inferencer for OWL DL is in peril of going away until
the heat death of the universe.  A well-optimized complete inferencer for
OWL Lite is likely to come back relatively quickly and likely not to take
an extreme amount of time.

I wouldn't, however, want to be quoted on this, particularly as it is quite
easy to make a non-well-optimized reasoner for OWL Lite.

peter