Re: Need example of a River class being used as an individual ... anyone?

From: Mike Pool <mpool@iet.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:36:56 -0500
To: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>, www-rdf-logic@w3.org
Cc: "Costello,Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>

At 12:15 PM 3/10/2003 -0500, Roger L. Costello wrote:

>Frank Manola wrote:
>>
>>      <rdf:Description rdf:about="#River">
>>          <dc:creator>Roger Costello</dc:creator>
>>      </rdfs:Description>
>>

>Thanks Frank!  I was kinda hoping for a more compelling example.  Saying
>that "the River class was created by Roger Costello" doesn't seem to be
>an exceptionally compelling example of the power of using a class as an
>individual. Can you think of a more compelling example?  /Roger

What about meta-information about information sources, e.g., some relation, "containsInformationType" relates kinds of information sources to the kinds of structural feature about which instances of said types contains information.  Suppose a "RiverMap" is the kind of map used to give detailed information about the rivers in a region, then we might assert:

(containsInformationType RiverMap River)

Is this the kind of thing you had in mind?

Mike Pool

Mike Pool
Information Extraction & Transport, Inc.
1911 North Fort Myer Drive, Suite 600
Rosslyn, VA 22209 USA
(703) 841-3500 x632
(703) 841-3501 Fax