Re: No rdfs:range specified for owl:hasValue ... an error?

From: Roger L. Costello <costello@mitre.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 07:51:22 -0500
To: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
CC: "Costello,Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>

"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" wrote:

> > <rdf:Property rdf:ID="hasValue">
> >      <rdfs:label>hasValue</rdfs:label>
> >     <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#Restriction"/>
> > </rdf:Property>
> >
> > Note that there is no rdfs:range specified.  Is that a mistake?  The
> > other properties - allValuesFrom,  someValuesFrom, etc - do have an
> > rdfs:range specified, so it leads me to believe that it is a
> > mistake. /Roger
>
> Not having a specified range for a property is definitely not a
> mistake. There is absolutely no requirement that a property have a
> range or a domain.

Sorry, I didn't express myself very well.  Of course I realize that it
is okay to not specify a range.  All I was trying to point out was that
the definition of hasValue is inconsistent with the others of its ilk -
allValuesFrom,  someValuesFrom, etc - because they specify a range
whereas hasValue doesn't.  I found that rather odd, and figured that it
was either an oversight, or there was a good reason why no range was
specified.  Which is it?  /Roger