Re: No rdfs:range specified for owl:hasValue ... an error?

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 07:38:49 -0500 (EST)
To: costello@mitre.org
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org

From: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>
Subject: No rdfs:range specified for owl:hasValue ... an error?
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 17:00:22 -0500

> Hi Folks,
>
> The OWL Reference defines owl:hasValue like this:
>
> <rdf:Property rdf:ID="hasValue">
>      <rdfs:label>hasValue</rdfs:label>
>     <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#Restriction"/>
> </rdf:Property>
>
> Note that there is no rdfs:range specified.  Is that a mistake?  The
> other properties - allValuesFrom,  someValuesFrom, etc - do have an
> rdfs:range specified, so it leads me to believe that it is a mistake.
> /Roger

Not having a specified range for a property is definitely not a mistake.
There is absolutely no requirement that a property have a range or a
domain.

It is possible to put in a ``null'' range (or domain).  In this case the
null range would be rdfs:Resource.  However, it used to be the case in RDF
that null ranges were not always appropriate.  The RDF model theory has
recently changed in a way that means that null ranges can now always be
used.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research
Lucent Technologies