Re: owl:imports and xml namespace!

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:13:29 -0400
To: "Davide Noaro" <noarodavide@libero.it> (by way of Jim Hendler), www-rdf-logic@w3.org
Cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
At 9:01 AM -0400 6/27/03, Davide Noaro wrote:
I don't understand why in owl:imports you didn't put an attribute to
set up a shorthand notation for names of the elements imported.
There is a redundancy between the namespace declarations and
owl:imports statements like in DAML.... why you didn't add an
attribute like in SHOE to specify the prefix of the elements? Is
there a motivation that giustify the redundancy?
Thank you in advance for you answers,
Davide Noaro

David, we did this because RDF and XML Namespaces provide ways to do
referencing that are more consistent with the Web architecture and
with accepted web standards - we generally felt that an OWL specific
mechanism that wouldn't be understood by XML or RDF parsers would be
a mistake.  We did, however, in response to some comments about this,
extend our discussion of this in the OWL Reference -- the newer write
up is in the Editors' Draft of the Reference (not the Last Call
version) at [1]
  -Jim H

[1] http://www.daml.org/2002/06/webont/owl-ref-proposed#imports-def

Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  *** 240-277-3388 (Cell)
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler      *** NOTE CHANGED CELL NUMBER ***