RE: Presentation Syntax - why?

Jim-

I have two problems. The first is the effort to absorb yet another
Semantic Web dialect in my application, and the second is the effort to
explain the reasons for yet another dialect to a user community. The
first is a short-term cost I have to bear. I fear the second can hinder
adoption of the technology.

As to the first: you're right. We shouldn't care, as we do routinely
apply stylesheets to transform arbitrary XML into RDF/XML. It is a good
thing that the Note contains a draft stylesheet in an appendix. But it's
an interoperability issue because it's one more mapping that I will now
have to worry about. However minimal that might be in this case, the
working assumption was that all OWL in XML that we would encounter would
be RDF/XML with OWL vocabulary. I am now disabused of that notion, and
having complained, I will deal with it.

With respect to the second: I assume, based on what you say, that some
in the Webont WG feel that making it easier to write OWL DL correctly is
worth abandoning RDF/XML as an authoring language. While I can
appreciate their reasons, I think you are discounting the amount of FUD
this creates among developers who are just beginning to understand what
can be accomplished by authoring RDF/XML as it is today. I think it's
worth addressing more explicitly in the Note and elsewhere, as you have
in your email.

- regards, BPA

Bradley P. Allen
President