Partial Imports (was www-webont-wg@w3.org Re: Proposed response to Golbeck regarding imports issue)

[[ This issue is moving here from webont WG as it has become a
generic discussion of importing (yet again) rather than about a
specific response.

You are welcome to go to www-webont-wg@w3.org archives to see earlier
messages in the thread, but I think you'll get the gist from the
below ]]

At 2:11 PM +0100 6/17/03, Ian Horrocks wrote:
>On June 17, Jim Hendler writes:
>>

>>  >
>>  >>  In certain contexts, I think OWL would be useful with some ontologies
>>  >>  preimported.
>>  >
>>  >Well, this would not be OWL.
>>
>>  With due respect Peter, this must either be the dumbest thing I ever
>>  heard you say or, more likely, we're somehow not understanding each
>>  other.  Most of our tools enable the user to start with ontologies
>                       =====
>                       =====
>
>What you describe here are OWL tools, not the OWL language.
>
>If I were Dan, what I would do is produce a <<tool>> that checked on
>the usage of namespaces in an OWL ontology and automatically added
>the import statements that I wanted. This would allow my applications
>to work the way I wanted using reasoning that would still be sound
>w.r.t. the OWL language spec.
>
>Regards, Ian

that's how you would do it.  My plan is to build tools that don't
import whole documents when they see external pointers, they will
only import some statements from those documents.  However, the
graphs they create will still be legal OWL (Full) graphs and usually
will be legal OWL DL.  What they won't necessarily be is documents
that completely capture the intent of the ontology provider, and
which may therefore not produce the same results as an imports would
have stated.  They may also lose "ground truth" in some deeper sense,
but they certainly won't be incorrect OWL.   (i.e. if I "invoke" a
statement from your web page (ex:) that "Ian Horrocks" is an ex:male"
but don't import the statement that "ex:male owl:DisjointClass
ex:female", there is nothing wrong with my believing that you are
ex:male - or even finding properties of that class and assuming you
have them.  There's certainly nothing wrong in my OWL - and my
application could still produce very useful (and sound and complete)
results - it's only if I brought in other statements that involved
ex:female that a problem would occur, and I see no reason why tools
couldn't handle that correctly (by importing only the parts of
documents that are needed for particular applications).  A real world
example of this is that many people are using the portion of the CYC
upper ontology for "time" without reading in the whole rest of CYC.
   This is why I care so much about this imports stuff.  You may think
the above is stupid or illogical, I think that anything else will
cause the semantic web to fail.  OWL is nice in that we both can have
our mistaken beliefs and still build tools and ontologies that
interoperate just fine.