Re: Cross-ontologies reasoning

From: Enrico Franconi <franconi@inf.unibz.it>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:35:13 +0100
To: public-sws-ig@w3.org, www-rdf-logic@w3.org

>    [Jim Hendler]
>    I do think there are some nice doctoral theses to be done (and I'm
>    hiring students to do them) in automating more of the mapping (human
>    provides partial map, system extends it) within the sorts of
> mappings
>    that OWL allows, but doing this by humans, using ontology tools, is
>    presently well within the state of the practice and easy to do ....
>
> [Drew McDermott]
> This I agree with.  The point is that once humans have figured out how
> two ontologies overlap, it isn't that hard to formalize the
> translation.  Automated tools can certainly help, and we've been
> developing some of them.

The DB world is facing this problem since many many years. Look at:

E. Rahm and Phil A. Bernstein, "A survey of approaches to automatic
schema matching", VLDB Journal 10, 4 (Dec. 2001), at
http://www.research.microsoft.com/~philbe/VLDBJ-Dec2001.pdf

The two most cited projects about that problem are the DIKE project (L.
Palopoli, D. Sacc, G. Terracina, D. Ursino)
(http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=945189&dl=ACM&coll=GUIDE as a
starting point) and the Phil Bernstein project at Microsoft.