Re: Web Ontology Requirements Document - comments sought

All,

I have a possible additional use case for you:  content negotiation.

Some time ago, I did some work for an IETF specification using logical
expressions to describe sets of features, in a fashion having similarities
with Description Logics.  In particular, the feature matching (i.e.
matching content origination capabilities with receiver capabilities) was,
I think, a form of subsumption calculation.  See RFC 2533 [1] for more details.

Now we have CC/PP using RDF to describe client capabilities, but without
any framework for matching them with origination capabilities.  E.g. the
sort of missing capability one could imagine is a number of content
generation stylesheets, each associated with a description of required
media features, from which a selection could be made by matching with the
client CC/PP profile.  Preferably, this stylesheet would have a form very
similar to the CC/PP profile.  This could provide a basis for protocol- and
application-independent content negotiation [2].

A long-term goal of mine is to work to converge the CC/PP and IETF RFC2533
frameworks to the point that the semantics, if not the syntax, are readily
exchangeable.  Some work on converging vocabularies is underway.  I had
been looking to the DAML/OWL work to provide a basis for implementing
feature matching of descriptions using logical expressions.  There may be
some difficulties with the RFC 2533 form, as it uses negation and
disjunction, and keeps the computation tractable by limiting the
expressions in other ways.  (I don't fully grok the constraints on DL
expressions that are used to ensure tractability.)

I have one other comment on the requirements document, concerning
procedural attachments.

While I can understand that there will be new applications that will need
some kind of extension to OWL to fulfill their requirements, I think it
would be a great shame if the language cannot satisfy its original use-case
goals without such extension (particularly given that string and arithmetic
primitives are also noted in the objectives).

Also, the term "procedural" makes me nervous.  I strongly feel that such
attachments, where used, should not be used to allow an OWL expression to
have side-effects, as that would introduce all sorts of
evaluation-scheduling constraints (e.g. would effectively prohibit caching
of already-evaluated results).  Related to this, I think that where
external evaluations are used, the OWL processor should be able to know if
they depend upon volatile conditions -- i.e. can the result be evaluated
once and then cached for use as-needed?  (Specifically, I would like to be
able to perform OWL evaluations in the framework of a functional
programming environment using lazy evaluation.)

#g
--

[1] ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2533.txt

[2] ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2703.txt

At 11:28 PM 3/19/02 -0500, Jim Hendler wrote:
>RDFers - the Web Ontology Working Group has published our first working
>draft - a use cases and requirements document for the Web Ontology
>Language [1]. We are soliciting comments on the document at
>mailto:public-webont-comments@w3.org and general discussion of these
>issues on rdf-logic.   We'd very much like to hear from you
>  thanks
>  Jim Hendler and Guus Schreiber
>  WebOnt WG CoChairs
>p.s. apologies for the cross post - we thought both groups might be
>interested.  Please direct responses as discussed above.
>
>[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-webont-req-20020307/
>

>--
>Professor James Hendler                           hendler@cs.umd.edu
>Director, Semantic Web and Agent Technologies     301-405-2696
>Maryland Information and Network Dynamics Lab.    301-405-6707 (Fax)
>AV Williams Building, Univ of Maryland            College Park, MD 20742
>http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>