Re: Strange behaviour of datatypes test A1 with answer yes and literals untidy

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 16:06:55 -0500
To: Drew McDermott <drew.mcdermott@yale.edu>
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org

>    [Jonathan Borden]
>    Suppose we define the infinite set of things denotes by "10" as "_:1"
>
>    then (3)+(4) follow from (1)+(2)
>
>This is not the first time I've seen the idea that a literal might
>denote more than one thing (or a set of things, or even an infinite
>set of things).
>
>Where did this idea come from?  It seems quite counterintuitive to me.
>I can't find it in the RDF(S) model theory either.

Its been in and out of it in various drafts. IT is a widely popular
idea, eg people write things like

Jenny ex:age "10" .

and expect that

ex:age rdfs:Range xsd: integer .

will be enough to force that literal to mean ten (not '10').  It
doesnt seem to me to be wildly unintuitive to say that a literal acts
like a name whose referent depends on the datatyping context (and
when there is no such context, it acts like an existential.)

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes