Re: How do RDF and Formal Logic fit together?

>From: "Pat Hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
>
>>  >>  No way to indicate scope or variable bindings, chiefly.
>>  >
>>  >Well actually there is if you will allow that a scope of a variable can
>be
>>  >specified by a set of statements and that statements themselves have
>>  >identity.
>>
>>  OK, no way to indicate a set of statements. Same thing.
>
>Well actually there are two ways to do that.
>
>1) Point out the extension of the set with labeled directed arcs by giving
>each statement an identifier:
>quad is (stid, subject, predicate, object)
>http://robustai.net/mentography/contexts.gif
>
>2) Include the name of the set in the label of the arc:
>quad is (subject, context+predicate, object)
>http://robustai.net/mentography/reificationContext.gif
>
>AFAIK these different methods are principally the same.  Now I like the
>latter because that is the way it is done in the CWM that implements N3.

Neither of these is possible in RDF, however. RDF uses triples, not
quads; it has no mechanism or notation for attaching identifiers to
statements; and it requires arc labels to be urirefs, not pairs of
anything. Of course there are extensions of RDF in which all manner
of things can be written, but this is the RDF-logic list, not the
RDF++-logic list.

Pat Hayes

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes