RE: RDF for metadata

There also comes to mind the fact that the scope of an XML content
model is the instance, yet the scope of an RDF "content" model is
a knowledge base built from possibly multiple sources (XML instances).

If one is able to encapsulate all knowledge in a single XML
instance, then it may make sense to be able to define constraints
such as "no child has more than one mother" since you have
a "closed world" defined by the single XML instance.

However, in the case of a knowledge base built from the syndication
of multiple sources, each defined by a separate instance, it doesn't
make sense to define such constraints at the XML instance scope
(irregardless of whether one uses a DTD, XML Schema, RELAX, RDF, etc.)
since two instances could each define only one mother, but a
different person, and such a conflict could never be caught until
one syndicated those separate instances into a common knowledge base
and applied schema constraints on the syndicated knowledge base.

So, if you are looking to define in RDF structural constraints on
individual XML instances (i.e. DTDs in RDF), cool, but your example
suggests that you are looking to define constraints on knowledge which
transcends the individual XML instance scope.

Cheers,

Patrick

--
Patrick Stickler                      Phone:  +358 3 356 0209
Senior Research Scientist             Mobile: +358 50 483 9453