Re: use/mention and reification: rdf:predicate/subject/object [was: RDF Abstract Syntax...]

>At 01:01 PM 5/26/01 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
>>But if you take the quotes (') out,
>>I can't see how it works. I discovered this problem
>>back in August when I was writing
>> http://www.w3.org/2000/07/hs78/KIF
>>and I have been trying to make sense of
>>
>>       (rdf_subject ?s1 color)
>>
>>without the ' ever since, and I can't make it work.
>
>Going out on a limb here, I'm going to hazard a guess that you need
>quotation to make sense of this using the KIF wtr axiom schema,
>because wtr is defined in terms of quotation.

That isnt quite right.  wtr is a function from sentences to
propositions. In ansi-KIF, the neatest way to describe a sentence is
by quoting it, but there are other ways, and wtr would apply to
sentences described in any way. The issue isn't how to refer to the
sentences, but the fact that wtr takes a sentence as its argument.

In fact it isnt possible to define (ie to axiomatize) wtr in KIF: it
has to be taken as a primitive, and it is a very powerful one. Which
is why using it to describe elementary syntax is like using a
steam-hammer to crack a nut.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes