RE: metadata vs. meta-(meta)-data

From: Ziv Hellman <ziv@unicorn.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 11:27:42 +0200
To: "Drew McDermott" <drew.mcdermott@yale.edu>, <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>
>    [larry masinter]
>    The web page and the thing the web page is about are at
>    different levels of quoting, but these levels are confounded
>    in RDF today.
>
> Thanks for the extremely lucid explanation.
>
>    I can think of several ways of fixing this, but they're
> all somewhat
>    unpleasant:

One possibility is defining a function that associates each Web page, or
Web-page fragment, with a bag or a list. That would distinguish between
references to the page and references to its associated set/bag/list --
so that one could, e.g., either refer to a page or refer to a list of
students in a course that is associated with that page by way of this
function. The drawback is that one would need to separately update the
Web page and any bags or lists thus associated with it -- because the
Web page myschool.edu/course101/students could remain constant over
years whilst the list of enrolled students,
associatedBag(myschool.edu/course101/students) will change yearly.

Cheers,

Ziv