Re: DAML+OIL bug

Drew McDermott wrote:

> Pardon me if this has already been asked.
>
> In the DAML+OIL example, we have
>
> <rdf:RDF
>   xmlns:rdf ="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
>   xmlns:rdfs="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#"
>   xmlns:daml="http://www.daml.org/2001/03/daml+oil#"
>   xmlns:xsd ="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema#"
>   xmlns:dex ="http://www.daml.org/2001/03/daml+oil-ex#"
>   xmlns:exd ="http://www.daml.org/2001/03/daml+oil-ex-dt#"
>   xmlns     ="http://www.daml.org/2001/03/daml+oil-ex#"
> >

> The Allegro XML parser claims these are malformed URIs.

Well, they're perfectly good namespace names, i.e. URI references.
They work in lots of XML/XSLT/XML Schema software I use.
The Allegro XML parser is complaining for no good reason.

>  At first I
> thought I needed to do some "escape" trickery to get those #'s in, but
> my second thought was that the Allegro parser is correct.  Shouldn't
> the #'s just go away?

No.

>  Namespaces are not the same as URL + name
> fragments.

Actually, they are:

[[[
[Definition:] An XML namespace is a collection of names, identified by a
URI
reference [RFC2396],
]]]

--        Namespaces in XML
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xml-names-19990114/#dt-namespace
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:24:57 GMT

[[[
4. URI References

   The term "URI-reference" is used here to denote the common usage of a
   resource identifier.  A URI reference may be absolute or relative,
   and may have additional information attached in the form of a
   fragment identifier.
]]]

--
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt

Both of those are cited from the DAML walkthru.
  http://www.daml.org/2001/03/daml+oil-walkthru.html#References

Now that I think about it, it's
odd that they don't come up in the DAML
reference document.