Re: What do the ontologists want

From: "Drew McDermott" <drew.mcdermott@yale.edu>

>    [seth russell]
>    Incidentally, I'm still trying to wrap my pee brain around the idea
that
>    there is a problem with 'not' here.   To me {B subClass A.  C subClass
A.  B
>    not C.} is a perfectly valid thing to say and nicely implies {B xor C}.
>    Does it not ?
>
> I don't understand the example.  Is this three triples?

Yes, three triples and one triple implied with  A, B, C being classes - see
diagram.

> If so, what does B not C mean?

It means that if a thing is a B, then it cannot also be a C.

>Are A, B, and C themselves supposed to be triples
> or reified triples?

Nope they are classess - see diagram.

>If not, how do you negate a triple?

I hadent though about that one .. should I ?

[1] http://robustai.net/mentography/implicationOfxor.gif

Note I didn't put in the quantifications, but when the whole scheme of
things is defined, those will be rather easy .. me thinks.

Seth