Re: Where DAML+OIL deviates from the RDF-Schema spec.

>Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> > I think we all agree that < and <=  style of subProperty are both
>consistent
> > reasonable terms.
> > 1. Saying that subclassOf(c,d) is a way of saying forall x, in(x,c) =>
> > in(x,d) which is a simple thing  to say.  Lots of rules systems
>allow that to be
> > expressed.
> >
> > Saying properSubClassOf(c,d) is to say
> >     forall x. in(x,c) => in(x,d)   and   exists y. in(x,d) and not(in(x,c))
> > This is a more complicated thing to say, as it uses a "not".
>
>If we take c and d to be intensional descriptions then wouldn't it
>be better to say that it means possible((Ey) in(y,d)^not(in(y,c)))?  The
>car example would then be ok as long as it was logically possible for
>the Robin company to make something with other than three wheels.

God forbid that we take these to be intensional. We've only just got
an extensional semantics straight; if we have to incorporate
modalities we will never recover. But in any case, DAML+OIL is an
inherently extensional language in the mold of CLASSIC: it refers to
classes.

To illustrate the snags, Tim, let me ask you to elucidate just what
it would mean for it to be logically impossible for a company to make
anything? It is *logically* possible that the Robin company might
make, say, statues of the Buddha the size of a planet constructed
entirely from icecream.

Pat Hayes

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes