Re: Where DAML+OIL deviates from the RDF-Schema spec.

Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> I think we all agree that < and <=  style of subProperty are both consistent
> reasonable terms.
> 1. Saying that subclassOf(c,d) is a way of saying forall x, in(x,c) =>
> in(x,d) which is a simple thing  to say.  Lots of rules systems allow that to be
> expressed.
>
> Saying properSubClassOf(c,d) is to say
>     forall x. in(x,c) => in(x,d)   and   exists y. in(x,d) and not(in(x,c))
> This is a more complicated thing to say, as it uses a "not".

If we take c and d to be intensional descriptions then wouldn't it
be better to say that it means possible((Ey) in(y,d)^not(in(y,c)))?  The
car example would then be ok as long as it was logically possible for
the Robin company to make something with other than three wheels.

--
 Tim Finin, Prof Computer Science & Elect Eng, Director Inst. for Global
 Electronic Commerce, Univ of Maryland Baltimore Cty, 1000 Hilltop, Baltimore