Re: one line RDF abstract syntax. was RE: RDF core: abstract syntax and semantics - an attempt

From: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:59:51 +0100
To: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Cc: <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>
At 08:41 AM 6/22/01 -0400, Jonathan Borden wrote:
>Graham,
>
>The problem with the way RDF reification is implemented is just that -- it
>is an implementation technique for attaching an rdf:ID to a statement using
>a set of triples.

Jonathan,

Well, the point of what I'm trying to do is to put the whole idea onto a
more sound footing -- to define some kind of meaning for reification so
that we can test whether or not it matches some general expectations about
what reification might achieve.

I don't mean to suggest that this is the best way to move forward -- as you
know, I have much sympathy for alternative forms of handling this problem,
and I agree that my abstract syntax for reification looks pretty ugly.

BUT, the attempt to try and find some common understanding is not helped by
changing the ground-rules.  Hence my abstract syntax/semantics attempts to
follow the current specification.  If it helps to crystalize some consensus
about what we're trying to achieve, THEN I think we can more fruitfully
consider the best way of achieving those goals.

#g