Re: RDF core: abstract syntax and semantics - an attempt

From: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:02:02 -0700
To: "Aaron Swartz" <me@aaronsw.com>, "Graham Klyne" <Graham.Klyne@Baltimore.com>
Cc: <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>
From: "Graham Klyne" <Graham.Klyne@Baltimore.com>

> Then, we can say that under this interpretation the RDF graph containing
> the first statement can be  seen as representing a truth, and the graph
> containing the second statement as representing a falsity.  This is what I
> mean by appearing 'true' or 'false'.

I have trouble with you use of the word "represents" here.  It seems as
though you are using it in a manner such that the range of 'represents' is
the set of values {true, false}.  But then what word do we use for the
relationship between concepts and their reality ?  Please refer to Pierce's
diagram of  semiosis [1] .. well at least my version of it.   In other
words: 'Snow is white' represents that snow is white, it does not represent
'true'.  Please see diagram [2].

[1] http://robustai.net/mentography/semiosis2.jpg
[2] http://robustai.net/mentography/Tarskian2.gif

Seth Russell