Re: Reification as nesting

From: Lynn Andrea Stein <lynn.stein@olin.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:00:30 -0400
To: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
CC: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
pat hayes wrote:

> > > The distinction between
> > > subject and object provides the distinction between subnesting and
> > > nesting, much in the way that LISP uses CDRs to indicate list members
> > > and encodes sublists in the CAR.
> >
> >If the verb is used to select the triple, you may find situations in which the
> >selection is ambiguous.  This is either a bug or a feature, depending (as
> >always) on your perspective.
>
> Can you say a little more on this? You have me worried.

Unless I misunderstood what Pat originally said, which is now lost in the archive
somewhere....

If a single subject stands in the same predicate relation to multiple objects
(e.g., I have multiple children), the predicate/verb does not uniquely identify
the object of the sentence.

I can't swear to whether I'm right on this one, but I'm confident that that is
what I meant by my (quoted) statement.