Re: performatives and trust

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 21:18:50 -0500
To: "Seth Russell" <seth@robustai.net>
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org

>Well I, for one, agree with you, Lynn.  I have argued in other trains and
>with the graph [2] that people (and automated agents) will experience of the
>Semantic Web\Cloud quite incoherently, because regardless of their
>processing capabilities they will be always have encountered an incomplete
>and inconsistent set of statements.

Just for the record, logic has no problems whatsoever with incomplete
sets of statements.  And I think that where $$ are involved, the
semantic web is likely to be extremely sensitive to inconsistencies.

The vision of the semantic web coming out of W3C doesnt sound at all
like a 'cloud'. I don't see banking agents making million-dollar
trades with their electronic heads lost in a cloud of contradictions.
I think it going to be more like a kind of automated lawyer's
convention, with agents checking everyone else's proofs down to the
last jot and tittle, and not parting with a microcent until all the
inconsistencies are completely ironed out, or at any rate until some
broker agent has agreed, in secured and checked DAML (or
XML-legal-rules, or whatever) to take the risk.

Pat Hayes

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes